Thursday: 16 December 2021
Time Allowed: 3 hours.
This paper has three sections. SECTION I has forty (40) multiple choice questions. SECTION II has twenty (20) short response questions. SECTION III has one (1) essay question. All questions are compulsory. Marks allocated to each question are shown at the end of the question.
SECTION I— 40 MARKS
- Which one of the following devices functions only as an input device?
(a) Hard disk drive
(b) Computer memory
(c) Computer monitor
(d) Scanner ( 1 mark)
- What was the technology used in the third generation computers?
(a) Integrated circuits
(b) Vacuum tube
(d) Very large scale integration ( 1 mark)
- Which type of software that is best defined by the following; “Software which allows end users to perform and fulfil their tasks”?
(a) Operating system
(b) Application software
(c) Utilities software
(d) Programming software (1 mark)
- What is the name of a circuit board which connects most of the other devices on a computer?
(b) Expansion slot
(d) Monitor ( 1 mark)
- Which of the following is a primary feature of an operating system?
(a) Virus scanning
(b) File management
(c) Creating databases
(d) Web browsing ( 1 mark)
- A company needs to develop a computerised system to manage its sales. Who is the most appropriate person to study this company’s requirements?
(b) Web designer
(c) Systems analyst
(d) System administrator (1 mark)
- In graphical user interface (GUI), what does the acronym WYSIWYG stand for?
(a) What You See Is What You Get
(b) Why you saw Is What You Got
(c) Where You See Is Where You Got
(d) What You See Is What You Got ( 1 mark)
- Consider the following devices:
X – Digital camera
Y – Speaker
Z – Hard disk (1 mark)
Which of the above is/are usually used as an output device/devices of a computer?
(a) X only
(b) Y only
(c) X and Y only
(d) Y and Z only (1 mark)
- In relation to e-mail, what does RE: or Re: in the subject box stand for?
(d) Remember (1 mark)
- Which one of the following is NOT a symptom of internet addiction disorder?
(a) Improved access to distance learning and online tutorials
(b) Difficulty maintaining healthy relationships when not online
(c) A sudden and drastic increase in your internet usage
(d) Friends and family expressing concern for the amount of time you spend online (1 mark)
- Which of the following is NOT TRUE about the Internet?
(a) Nobody owns the Internet
(b) There is no centralised control
(c) It is a network of computer networks
(d) All the information available is accurate and reliable (1 mark)
- Which of the following is considered as raw data?
(a) Marks obtained by students in a class
(b) Sorted list of marks obtained by students in a class
(c) Maximum marks obtained by students in a class
(d) Average marks obtained by students in a class (1 mark)
- What is the function of the CTRL + Z keyboard shortcut?
(d) Cut (I mark)
- Which of the following input devices recognises the position of marks on paper?
(d) OMR (1 mark)
- Which of the following is NOT a network device?
(d) OMR (1 mark)
- Which of the following is not a type of user interface?
(a) Command driven interface
(b) Menu driven interface
(c) Efficient based interface
(d) Direct manipulation interface (1 mark)
- The ability to combine names and addresses with a standard document is called
(a) Document formatting
(b) Database management
(c) Mail merge
(d) Form letters (1 mark)
- A spreadsheet function that displays only the data in column(s) according to specified criteria is called a
(d) Pivot (1 mark)
- What type of diagram would you use to compare performance of two employees in the year 2020?
(a) Column chart
(b) Line chart
(c) Pie chart
(d) Dot chart (1 mark)
- The feature of spreadsheet application quickly completes a series of data.
(a) Auto Complete
(b) Auto Fill
(c) Fill Handle
(d) Sorting (1 mark)
- Which type of field will you select if you need to enter long text in that field?
(d) Hyperlink (1 mark)
- The columns in a database application table are also called
(d) Columns (1 mark)
- Which of the following factors is not used when determining the processing power of a computer?
(a) Clock speed
(b) RAM size
(c) Register size
(d) Computer price (1 mark)
- Which of the following data transmission modes is not valid?
(b) Double duplex
(c) Full duplex
(d) Half duplex (1 mark)
- Which transmission medium is most appropriate to carry data in a computer network that is exposed to electromagnetic interference?
(a) Unshielded twisted pair
(b) Coaxial cable
(d) Optical fibre (1 mark)
- Which of the following is a valid email address?
(d) tunawezapoint@business ( 1 mark)
- Which of the following types of software best represents the software designed to perform a specific task?
(a) Application software
(b) Synchronous software
(c) Package software
(d) System software (1 mark)
- Which network topology requires a central hub?
(d) Ring (1 mark)
- The process of linking of computers with a communication system is called
(d) Assembling (1 mark)
- Which of the following statements about asynchronous transmission is NOT correct?
(a) Each character is framed with a start bit and a stop bit
(b) Transmission medium is idle during time intervals between transmitting characters
(c) Data is transmitted a block of characters at a time
(d) It is slow (1 mark)
- WLAN stands for
(a) Wire Lost Area Network
(b) Wireless Local Ambiguity Network
(c) Wired Local Area Network
(d) Wireless Local Area Network (1 mark)
- Which of the following is an example of a system software?
(a) Microsoft Excel
(b) Microsoft Word
(c) Microsoft Windows
(d) Opera (1 mark)
- Which of the following items are part of information technologies?
(i) Digital camera
(ii) Mobile phone
(a) (i) and (ii)
(b) (ii) and (iii)
(c) (i) and (iii)
(d) (i), (ii) and (iii) ( 1 mark)
- What is the name of a network that uses a server to meet the needs of the other computers on the network?
(a) Local area network
(b) Client/server network
(c) Immediate network group
(d) Groupware network ( 1 mark)
- Which of the following is used as a primary storage device?
(a) Hard disk
(b) Magnetic tape
(d) Floppy disk (1 mark)
- Which of the following enables a computer to “boot”?
(a) Operating system
(d) Assembler (1 mark)
- Information is a set of data that have been shaped into a form that is:
(a) Meaningless and useless to human being
(b) Meaningful and useful to human being
(c) Meaningless and useless to information systems
(d) Meaningful and useful to information systems (1 mark)
- Which of the following best describes the Central Processing Unit?
(a) It is operated from the control panel.
(b) It controls all input, output and processing.
(c) It is controlled by the input data entering the system
(d) It controls the auxiliary storage unit (1 mark)
- Which of the following best describes the measure of the output quality of a printer?
(a) Dots per inch
(b) Dots printed per unit time
(c) Dots per square inch
(d) Type of ink used (1 mark)
- The difference between memory and storage is that memory is and storage is
(a) Permanent, temporary
(b) Slow, fast
(c) Temporary, permanent
(d) Cheap, expensive (1 mark)
SECTION II — 40 MARKS
In questions 41 to 45, indicate whether the statement is True or False.
- Information Communication Technology refers to the technology that merges computing with high speed communication links carrying data, sound and video. (1 mark)
- Second Generation Computers used integrated circuits for their internal operations. (1 mark)
- Expansion Slot is an interface on a computer to which you connect a device. (1 mark)
- Fiber-optic cable is a media of choice for backbone networks. (1 mark)
- Shareware is any copyrighted software, application or program that may be freely downloaded, installed, used and shared. (1 mark)
You are advised not to exceed forty words in answering questions number 46 to 60.
- Write the appropriate file extension against the following software:
- Match each of the following network topologies with its main advantage outlined below the table:
- Data can be transmitted from different devices simultaneously
- Easy to implement
- Point to point connection of devices
- Equal access for all users
- Centralised control (4 marks)
- Identify the category of the following devices either as input, output or storage device.
- State the type of software below either as operating system, utility or application.
- Define the term “network firewall”. (2 marks)
51. …………..is working from home using telecommunication tools. (2 marks)
- ……………….is the practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the internet to store, manage and process data rather than local servers. (2 marks)
- ……………….refers to electronic movement of standard business documents between or within firms. (2 marks)
- The use of human biological and behavioral characteristics to recognise authorised users of a system is known as (2 marks)
- …………..is a network that uses public telecommunication infrastructure to connect private remote offices. (2 marks)
- …………..is a document that has been output from a computer, some extra information added to it, and then returned to become an input document. (2 marks)
- …………..is the most powerful computer in the world. (2 marks)
- refers to raw facts awaiting processing. (2 marks)
- State two functions used in spreadsheet application. (2 marks)
- Outline two features of a word processing application. (2 marks)
SECTION III — 20 MARKS
- Outline the steps followed to create a folder called KASNEBCAMICT on the desktop. (4 marks)
Outline the procedure of creating a word processing file called “KasnebExams” on the desktop. (4 marks)
Using four short sentences, demonstrate the following features of a word processor program; bold, double underline, bullet and italics. (4 marks)
Describe three ways of starting a spreadsheet program. (6 marks)
Using a simple illustration, describe a slide in the context of presentation application. (2 marks)