THURSDAY: 16 December 2021. Time Allowed: 3 hours.
This paper has three sections. SECTION I has forty (40) multiple choice questions. SECTION II has twenty (20) short response questions. SECTION III has one (1) essay question. All questions are compulsory. Marks allocated to each question are shown at the end of the question.
SECTION I – 40 MARKS
- Which of the following is a cause of biased listening?
(b) Semantic problems.
(d) Noise. ( 1 mark)
- The last stage of communication cycle is
(d) Encoding. ( I mark)
- Which of the following BEST describes the role of a marketing department?
(a) Creating marketing jobs.
(b) Developing a market for products.
(c) Promoting the business and mission of a business.
(d) Contributing to market efficiency. ( I mark)
- Which of the following are examples of convenience goods?
(a) Clothes and television.
(b) Headphones and bread.
(c) Mobile phones and coffee.
(d) Sodas and bricks. ( I mark)
- Lateral flow of communication occurs between
(a) Managers and customers.
(b) Employees in the same department.
(c) Employees in different organisations.
(d) Employees and managers. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is a purpose of a notice of a meeting?
(a) To bring a meeting to order.
(b) To help the chair control the meeting.
(c) To inform the date of the meeting.
(d) To inform what is to be resolved. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is a variable of demographic segmentation?
(d) Sex. ( I mark)
- Which of the following statement is NOT true about customer feedback?
(a) Helps to create the best customer experience.
(b) Provides reliable source of information.
(c) Helps to increase the cost of production.
(d) Helps to improve customer retention. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is a reduction in price on purchase during a stated period?
(d) Offer. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is a basic purpose of promotion?
(a) To increase customer perceptions.
(b) To increase customer preferences.
(c) To create competition.
(d) To create product differentiation. (1 mark)
I 1. Which of the following is a major skill required in customer service?
(b) Problem solving.
(d) Proactive. (1 mark)
- Which of the following statements about listening is correct?
(a) Hearing and listening are synonymous.
(b) Listening is a mental activity.
(c) Listening is effortless.
(d) Listening is a physical act. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is a purpose of a marketing plan?
(a) To provide the framework on which to build new relationships.
(b) To guide on structuring and allocation of resources.
(c) To provide structure on funding and supporting an organisation.
(d) To reduce risks in an organisation. (1 mark)
- Which is the MOST important task of an interviewer?
(a) Listen carefully.
(b) Formulate effective questions.
(c) Make the interviewee comfortable.
(d) Take notes. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is NOT a reason for maintaining customer databases?
(a) Identify the most loyal customers.
(b) Sending gifts and discounts to loyal customers.
(c) Selling goods on credit to loyal customers.
(d) Sharing information about new products and special offers to loyal customers. ( I mark)
- Which of the following is NOT a principle of effective communication?
(d) Wordy. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is NOT a price adjustment strategy?
(a) Segmented pricing.
(b) Promotional pricing.
(c) Geographical pricing.
(d) Free samples. (I mark)
- A label performs several functions for a product EXCEPT
(d) Promoting. (1 mark)
- The first stage in analysing customer value is to
(a) Identify customers value attributes.
(b) Assess attributes importance.
(c) Assess performance of organisation.
(d) Assess competitors performance. (1 mark)
- Which statement below BEST explains when to use written means of communication?
(a) As a legal requirement.
(b) Message is brief.
(c) Need for a permanent record.
(d) No need for an immediate response. (1 mark)
- Which of the following visual aid could BEST reinforce speech presentation?
(d) Billboard. (1 mark)
- Elements of fear in the mind of a person leads to in communication.
(a) Closed mind.
(b) Lack of proper feedback.
(c) Negative attitude.
(d) Delayed response. ( 1 mark)
- Which of the following is NOT a cause of failure of a new product?
(a) An underestimated market size.
(b) An incorrectly positioned product.
(c) Ineffective advertising.
(d) A poorly designed product. (1 mark)
- The term marketing mix describes
(a) Analysis of the 4Ps.
(b) A series of business decisions that help in selling.
(c) The relationship between marketing, strengths and weaknesses.
(d) A blending of strategic elements to satisfy specific target markets. (1 mark)
- The following are strategies for developing an effective presentation EXCEPT
(a) Determining the appropriate media.
(b) Tailoring the presentation to audience.
(c) The size of audience invited.
(d) Choosing appropriate visual aids. (1 mark)
- Which of the following sentences BEST states the technique of capturing audience attention?
(a) A statement made to surprise.
(b) Asking rhetoric questions.
(c) Asking introduction to the audience.
(d) Looking direct to the screen. (1 mark)
- Which is the MAIN barrier to listening?
(a) Physiological barrier.
(b) Physical barrier.
(c) Linguistic barrier.
(d) Cultural barrier. (1 mark)
- Good customer service involves
(a) Listening and showing care to customers.
(b) Giving the customers what they ask for.
(c) Tell the customer what the answer might be.
(d) Refer the customer to your supervisor. (1 mark)
- The following are patterns of communication EXCEPT
(d) External. ( 1 mark)
- Which of the following is the MOST effective form of communication when a permanent record is needed?
(d) Written. (1 mark)
- A memorandum is considered a brief form of written communication for
(a) Internal use.
(b) External use.
(c) Formal use.
(d) Legal use. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is NOT an element of effective complaints management?
(b) Customer service.
(d) Accessible. (1 mark)
- could create a strong customer relationship.
(a) Quality product.
(b) Price of the product.
(c) Customer satisfaction.
(d) Product promotion. (1 mark)
- Marketing information collected from online databases is classified under
(a) Primary sources.
(b) Secondary sources.
(c) Ethnographic sources.
(d) Technological sources. ( 1 mark)
- Which of the following instances BEST explains how rumors spread fast?
(a) The rumors seem incredible.
(b) Setting boundaries for informal communication.
(c) Creating an open-door policy.
(d) The recipients being emotionally anxious. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is the first step of the marketing research?
(a) Implementing the research plan.
(b) Develop the research plan.
(c) Define the research problem.
(d) Collecting the research data. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is NOT a form of downward communication?
(a) Performance appraisals.
(d) Policies. (1 mark)
- is NOT a type of marketing concept.
(a) The production concept.
(b) The supplier concept.
(c) The societal marketing concept.
(d) The selling concept. (1 mark)
- Which of the following is an element of non-verbal communication?
(d) Language. ( 1 mark)
- Which of the following statement BEST shows the importance of delivering quality customer service?
(a) Link customers and organisation.
(b) Encourage customers to ask questions.
(c) Stimulates customers feedback.
(d) Maintain an organisation positive image. ( I mark)
SECTION II – 40 MARKS
You are advised not to exceed forty words in answering questions number 41 to 60.
- A receptionist should answer an incoming call within (1 mark)
- is a narrow market for a defined customer group seeking a product or service within a segment. (1 mark)
- is a process of assigning distinct name to the product so as to differentiate it from others of similar nature. ( 1 mark)
- The chain in which goods and services pass from producer to customer is known as ( 1 mark)
- Gestures and slides are examples of communication. (1 mark)
- A is used to give information which is uniform to many employees in an organisation. ( I mark)
- Communication barriers related to languages are known as (1 mark)
- A person whose duties include identification of the goods and services desired by customers is referred as ( 1 mark)
- The set of actions or strategies that an organisation uses to promote its brand or product in the market is known as ( I mark)
- and are key elements of external marketing environments. (2 marks)
- List three roles of communication. (3 marks)
- State three elements of a communication channel. (3 marks)
- Enumerate four categories of consumer goods. (4 marks)
- State three external factors that determine the price of a product. (3 marks)
- List four methods of collecting primary data. (4 marks)
- Outline three items that should be included in a notice of a meeting. (3 marks)
- State three types of non-verbal cues. (3 marks)
- Highlight two disadvantages of grapevine communication. (2 marks)
- and are the two major types of meetings. (2 marks)
- Enumerate two skills of interviewing. (2 marks)
SECTION III – 20 MARKS
- Explain five reasons why organisations use social media to market products and services. (10 marks)
Summarise five disadvantages of virtual meetings. (10 marks)