Meaning of project evaluation
Refers to the process of identifying or finding out the worthiness of the project during implementation and after. Its also judging the achieved results i.e. the effectiveness and the management of the project should be concerned with the end results and know in advance whether the project will succeed or fail. They should determine the procedure for evaluation and pass it down to the subordinate.
Importance of evaluation
1)It helps to inform the members, the board and management the success or failing of the project.
2) It helps the members and implementers to where they have gone wrong
3) It enables the members and management to re-design the project and make some modification
4) Helps them to know the directions the project is taking even before completion
Reasons of evaluation
Its done to reveal effectiveness of the project in the community i.e. if the activities are in line with the objectives.
Results should show efficiency and promise other methods of solving other problems
Evaluation should show the impact cost by the project whether positive or negative.
Types of evaluation
1. Impact evaluation
Is done to find out the to which project activities have affected the area. Results can be positive or negative need with end results and mostly done at the end of an activity or project period.
2. Remedial / formative evaluation.
Evaluation conducted from time to time as the project continues . it is mostly occurs during monitoring of activities at the implementation stage. It is done to help in modification.
3. Terminal evaluation
Evaluation carried out at the end of project operation period. It cover all the activities of the project from beginning to end. Evaluation of this structure is always required by donors and members of the project.
Forms / ways of evaluation .
- project appraisal.
This involves appraising the planned activities of the project . in this system you take each activity and analyze it then compare the results to find out whether they are according to plans. In this case you have to cover on each. Result then make overall .
- Baseline study.
One has to refer to the result . the baseline data during survey you look at the problem and the one effective it has on the communities then compare the effect that the project has brought into the community an it was before then write your .
This system of evaluation is continuous step by step ways of the progress of the project. It is done in order to identify whether the project is using the resources properly and at the right time.
- periodic review.
This involves looking at the program and activities from time to time in to check whether you are on the addition recurrent cost implied by this activity.
implementation organization continues with the project activity and sustain the benefit beyond the expiry of the external funds.
. are here any political obstacles to the adoption and successful implementation of the programme or the project?
N.B output- are those concrete and tangible products that are needed to achieve the objectives of the project and that happen as a result of specific objectives of the project and that happen as a result of specific objectives e.g well trained nurses or traditional birth attendant (T.B.A) etc.
Method – these are approach’s to be used technique e.g workshops, seminars , training etc.
Assumption- one assumes that if this is done , a given achievement will be obtained they are also the expectations.
- implementation plan.
It includes resource in books, work plan , organization.
It explains the details of a programme should specify all the resource inputs in term of manpower , how many members of staff etc facilities needed , equipment, and operating cost which includes what organization has well as the people the programme/ project.
Examples of a work plan.
Health working programme and specific health information system . this outlines targets , activities and schedules or timing.
Target – it indicates what would be the direct result or out put of an activity . be sure that each result or output can be related to the objectives stated in the goals and objectives section.
They state essential conditions that need to be present for an activity to take and the target be achieved e.g a printer, computer, photocopies , trained staff edit, audio radio, tapes etc.
Indicator of achievement-describe the concrete evidence or source of information required to demonstrate that the activity that has been completed and it indicate the extend the target has been achieved.
Indicators- show whether you achieve the objectives or not e.g if you can fulfill what you projected at.
Timing- note in this is continuous or time specific e.g April to may 3 days, two weeks etc. be specific on timing.
A work plan involves all activities . this depend on the type of project.
Questions to ask one self:
- What resource are required for the project to function ?
- Which of this are already in place and can be put to use?
- What are the activities to be carried out?
- What are the intended result of this activity ? (target / objective)
- What are the condition that must be present for the activity to be undertaken? Critical assumption in the table.
- How can implementation of activities and achievement of target be verified ?( indicators of achievement also look at the organization) .
- Who is to do what ? go to the field.
- Feed back–
This is necessary for leaning from experiences. Finding and interpretation must be communicated to decision makers in other levels to and improving the situation. It is also important in the community, their representation , leaders and higher level of administration.
N.B information is needed for evaluation purpose as well as control purpose monitoring during implementation aid in collection , the right kind of information when and where it is needed.
Community programme design and evaluation.
It deals with method and design/ mode of designing and conducting a community programme or project.
They are basically aimed at improving of life of children and the entire family e.g family life education programme.
Categories of project.
- Water project-[I cross](international community for the relief of starvation suffering)
In 1981, which was involved as a non profitable programme and initiating present programme.
- Small home water development in dry areas.
- Grassroots income generating activities especially among the nomads.
- Funding district supervisors e.g family plan programme.
- Solar disinfection of contaminated
- Child survival and monitoring in loc…..
- Training traditional birth attendance
- Aids education among the high risk groups g the singles, youth etc.
- Adults education among adults
- Community based health care , medical projects
- famine relief and supplementary
- Mobile medical units.
- Project among old people
2.NCCK(national council of churches of Kenya) programme include
CERP- Christian education training programme.
The target groups were the clergy , lay leaders , the youth and missionaries.
community improvement programme and small business enterprise.
nutrition and family education
famine relief project
Soil conservation project and communicated to all concerned for immediate action.
Functions of management in evaluation.
- Selecting indicators of achievement or effects for decision making.
- Assessment . they will be looking at the factors that led to success, obstacles and limitations that prevented success but where unable to overcome the obstacles. assessment tries to explain evaluation findings g –reveal in efficiency, misuse of resource, cause of failure etc.
- Management audit –looks at the efficient of the management itself e. self evaluation of the management truck or not. This is done through checking records , grant charts and project evaluation and review technique ( pert).
General approach of evaluation.
- Measurement of observed
- Comparison with previously stated norms standard or intended
- Judgment of the extend to which certain value are satisfied.
Steps in evaluation.
- Decide what is to be evaluated and select indicators of achievement in direct how a activity or programme will be evaluated and evidence of satisfactory achievement ( through objectives) this must be specified in detail during or by the end of the planned e. inform necessary to evaluate achievement . baseline also available for evaluation.
- Collect the necessary information . information needed to monitor and evaluate progress should be made available continuously . it must be reported and recorded in good time g next, monthly etc and someone must be made responsible for collecting and processing information.